Monday, July 30, 2012

Now I lay me down to sleep....

I found out yesterday that a girl that I went to high school with was killed.  She was a girl when I knew her.  She had since become a wife, mom, teacher, triathlete, cyclist, and more than I even know. I knew her because my best friend's sister was her best friend.  I knew her because we were in marching band together.  I knew her because I cheered for her when she was diving because one of my other good friends dove too.  I found out that others had lost a friend, sister, daughter, mom, wife, teacher, mentor.....because two other people had chosen to drive drunk.  At 7:45. in. the. morning.  I didn't sleep well last night.  I thought about Heather and her family all day.  I thought about her 4 year old and 7 year old children.  Tonight I had to go pick up Ella from soccer.  Max was crying when I left.  I talked to Josh on my way home.  He told me Max cried, I want mommy!  I want Mommy! and he told him "mommy will be home in a few minutes".  Then he told me at that moment, when he said that to Max, he immediately thought of Heather's husband (whom we never met) and how he will have to tuck in his kids when they are crying and asking for their mommy.  Josh said he couldn't even comprehend that feeling of loss.  I thought about Heather and her children...and now her husband.  It breaks my heart.  I can physically feel a weight in my chest thinking about them.  Just an overwhelming sadness over the loss of a woman who was (this was what I remember most) kind.  When I say my prayers, I will pray for Heather's family.  I will keep posted on the blogs and threads on facebook and do what I can to support from afar.  Even if it is just to buy a t shirt to support the movement now to bring awareness to the tragic nature of Heather's death. 
You will be missed, Heather....
xo~M

No comments:

Post a Comment