Sunday, January 6, 2013

Oh My Soul

I love music.  I relate parts of my life and people in it to music.  I hear a song and it puts me back in high school or college.  I hear Joy and Pain and I remember dancing on the bleachers at a track meet in high school.  I hear anything by Van Morrison and it reminds me of Josh.  I hear Crash by Dave Matthews and I remember being pregnant with Keelin and driving down Main Street in Buffalo to a client's house.  I had the windows down and was singing really loudly...she started kicking.  So either she liked Dave or hated my singing voice?? After she was born, I rocked her to Dave cds.  Our whole family enjoys music.  Keelin sings.  We have Unger Dance Party.  Ella falls asleep each night to the soundtrack of the Empire Strikes Back.  Max falls asleep to Coldplay's Viva la Vida album.  I carry my head phones with me to work so I can listen to pandora while working on IEPs or paperwork.  I went to church this morning.  The music is Christian rock-type.  I love Amazing Grace...any way that it is sung.  I am not particularly a huge fan of Christian music.  And today every song made me feel sad...whether it be the lyrics or the melody or both.  It was the first time in a long time I just did not want to listen at all.  Then the last song they sang really hit me.  I picked up on it and sang too and by the time we finished, I did have tears in my eyes, but not so much sadness this time.  I looked up the lyrics when I got home: (I hi lighted the parts that I really liked)
The song is called 10,000 Reasons

Bless the Lord, O my soul
O my soul
Worship His holy name
Sing like never before
O my soul
I'll worship Your holy name

The sun comes up, it's a new day dawning
It's time to sing Your song again
Whatever may pass, and whatever lies before me
Let me be singing when the evening comes


CHORUS

You're rich in love, and You're slow to anger
Your name is great, and Your heart is kind
For all Your goodness I will keep on singing
Ten thousand reasons for my heart to find

CHORUS

And on that day when my strength is failing
The end draws near and my time has come
Still my soul will sing Your praise unending
Ten thousand years and then forevermore
xo~M

No comments:

Post a Comment