Tuesday, December 17, 2013

A Carpenter's Daughter

Back in the summer I bought an old six-paned glass window.  It still had the rope ties in it.   I have wanted one for a while...I would still like more with assorted panes, but this one would do for now.  It took me until November to really decide what I wanted to do with it.  First I had to sand it.  There were thick layers of paint on it.  Dark green, cream, maybe white too....at least 3 colors and who knows how many coats.  I started hand sanding thinking that it was SO old the paint would just flake off.  You are laughing at me now, aren't you?  Keelin came in to help me one day.  I was covered in paint dust.  She grabbed a sanding sponge and we both put on masks (I am SURE the paint was lead based) and goggles.  We barely made a dent.

I had done a few other wood working projects and borrowed sanders, but I decided it was time.....
To get my own!!!! The fact that it is called "Mouse" does NOT bother me at all!  It is perfect for me-sized projects (for now!) So I went to work.  One pane I was a little overzealous and sanded so much that I knocked the glass out.  I could have put it back in, but I decided to go with it for the sake of the project. I got down to some really pretty dark wood.  I thought for a brief moment that I would keep the beautiful wood, but the thought of stripping it .... nah...been there, done that with a stairway.  Not to be repeated.  
A little glimpse of the painted frame.  You can still see some of the layer that was so stubborn, but I think it adds some character.  I also added some "fake snow." 
 I decided to paint one pane with chalkboard paint and to use the open pane to hang ornaments.  I used some eyelet screws and ribbon to hang some silver ornaments I had leftover.
The finished product sits on the mantle  I changed white ribbon for red to add a pop of color.  I was going to put pictures behind the top two panes, but decided to just go with the snow.  The nice thing is that the ornaments can be removed, the lettering erased, and the snow washed off so that I can use it for another "project." I emailed my mom the finished product - telling her about the sanding, etc.  She emailed me back one line : A Carpenter's daughter.  It made me smile, think about my dad....that I am proud I know how to take on a little project like this because I paid attention to things he taught me.  A smile in my heart for sure.
xo~M

No comments:

Post a Comment