Sunday, June 17, 2012

Time Flies


I have not yet mastered the art of perfect timing in waiting for a flight.  I daydream of the day that I can walk leisurely through security, calmly to the gate, no rush and no wait...nonchalantly hand my ticket over and serenely board the plane.  Daydream or truly a dream?? 1/2 of my round trip experiences have been to or from a large airport; Laguardia, O'Hare, Atlanta.  You can never predict traffic to any of those hubs or how crowed the airports will be.  I remember sitting on the floor of Laguardia doing place cards for my wedding, tears tracking my cheeks-delay after delay-sure I would miss my own rehearsal dinner.  I also remember Keelin being maybe, 5 and Ella, 2.  Josh had gone ahead home to see his parents and we followed about a week later.  We put on skirts....excited to surprise daddy by being dressed up.  We got to the airport in what should have been "plenty of time" only to find out the computer system had crashed the night before.  We, along with most of the people there, missed our flight.  The girls and I spend 6 hours tooling around the airport.  This was before iTouch, iPad, or even DS found our house.  We read books, took loooooong walks, rode the escalators, and sat on the airport floor in our skirts eating ice cream cones.  Frustrating for me, but the girls had a blast.  What an adventure:)  Today Max and I flew.  First we started on an hour train ride.  Max took the window seat, giggling.  We began the trip with Max saying that his favorite part was going through all the tunnels.  Mid-way through, "I don't want to see ANOTHER tunnel!"  I guess train magic does not live for a full hour even in a four-year-old.  We got through the security line pretty painlessly and made it to the gate with.....2 hours to spare.  Hmmmmm....timing.  Max has flown before but it was like the first time.  Full of questions and watching out the window watching planes come and go.  It was fun for me to just sit and watch him.  And time flew by....More giggles ensued with take off and landing.  He loved going through the clouds and seeing the puzzle pieces of land below.  So as frustrating and stressful as traveling can be, seeing it through Max's eyes or the eyes of two little girls eating ice cream in their skirts put it into perspective.  Rushing or time to spare...the timing was perfect. 
 A pre-flight muffin
Watching the plane

xo~M

No comments:

Post a Comment