Sunday, June 24, 2012

Becoming Zen....

6/24/12

This one is about me.  I know- right?  It is a little lengthy, but bear with me. I have always loved sports and physical activity.  I started dancing at age 3.  I danced for ten years then entered middle school and started organized sports. I tried out for softball but didn't make it.  Realizing I could be fast, I began running in 7th grade on our middle school track team.  Except for a a season I lost due to bronchitis I continued running all through my senior year of college.  I love to run.  I "was" a sprinter.  Only doing mileage for cross training.  After graduating college, I started running 5Ks.  That was pretty fun.  I could still incorporate some speed into that. I loved running through Central Park when we lived in NYC.  I loved running in the Chicago suburbs.  After moving back to Buffalo, I continued running - through the streets and in the parks.  I ran the Corporate Challenges, the Susan B. Komen 5Ks, Mississippi Muds 5 K (BEST after race food EVER!), Subaru 4 miler (ooo....4 miles!) and my first ever Turkey Trot. There were others stuck in there, but those were my favorites.  In running, I found my happy place.  Relaxation after a day of work or just a day....Josh and I ran together until we realized the jogger stroller was NOT Keelin's favorite place to be.  So we began running separately. 
Fast forward a few years....I began training for a half marathon....gulp....a far cry from my favorite race, the 400m.  Luckily, I had 2 great training partners, Carrie & Jo.  Carrie and I trained through the week and met up with Jo on the weekends for our long runs.  I NEVER thought I could run a half.  The girl who had never run more than 6 miles.  (I did the Peachtree Roadrace ONCE-holy hot) Carrie and Jo assured me, once I hit 7...once I hit 8....once I hit 9....and pushed past I could do it.   Each mile mark after 6 miles was a personal victory for me.  I did complete the half and then started training for another one.  The day before my 2nd half, I was diagnosed with a pretty severe case of strep throat.  When I first came in the Dr suggested maybe keeping it easy on the half, by the end of the appointment, he strongly advised I not run :(  All that work and I could not even race:(  I definately caught a little distance bug though.  Carrie and Jo were talking about doing a full.  I could do that!!!! Unfortunately, the one half I ran was my last.  I was diagnosed with a ruptured disc and went through 18 months of PT and cortisone injections before going through surgery.  After the surgery I was told no distances greater than a 10K and no biking.  Pretty depressing.  I had always relied on running to create my feelings of relaxation....my zen.  I had to find something else.  A friend recommended yoga.  My mom recommended yoga.  Yoga...blech....so slow, so boring, a snooze-fest.  I was afraid to run.  I was afraid to do anything.  But no physical activity was making me even more depressed.  I continued to do some on my PT exercises but it just was not the same.  This spring I decided I was not going to be scared anymore and I began running again.  Just a 1-2 miles at a time.  I let Josh talk me into working out again, alternating strength training with boxing or some other cardio.  I visited my sister and she got my outside on her deck and we did yoga together out in the sunshine.  Maybe I have "matured"  (ha ha) .  What a difference.  It was not what I thought it would be.  I truly felt like I did a workout.  Something I did not expect.  It was not the feeling I got after running, but it was another kind of zen....The only thing I need to do now, is create a sound proof, kid proof room in my house...hmmmmm
xo~M
6/8/03 Komen Race (I ran pregnant with Ella:)
My first HALF :)
Kiawah 1/2 Marathon Dec. 2010-the last time I will EVER walk a half!



 

1 comment:

  1. Love this. Yoga has the unique ability to tame the mind much like a run, they are similar. They are both able to take our heads out of heads and become entwined in our bodies, our breath. But there is a freedom in running. I always tell Brian that I can hear God when I run because my mind is so distracted with the struggle to keep going that I can hear the words that would bring me peace. Now I just need to remember them after I stop the run. Love this post. Your Zen is just like Dorothy's ruby shoes, the power to return home was always there. Your Zen is within, we just need to listen for it. Great post. xoxo Stacy

    ReplyDelete